10 Short questions with Dzeko & Torres
Dzeko & Torres is a Canadian production and DJ duo based in Toronto, Canada. Founded around 2008 by teenagers Luis Torres and Julian Dzeko, the duo has released a number of singles in conjunction with labels such as Mixmash Records, Monstercat, and Musical Freedom Records. They released the EP Hey on Dim Mak Records in 2012, and have had airplay on radio stations including Tiesto’s Club Life, Paul Oakenfold’s Planet Perfecto, David Guetta's radio show Radio DJ Mix, andSteve Aoki's BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix 2012.
Releasing official remixes for artists as diverse as Chuckie, Imagine Dragons, and Capital Cities, in early 2014 the duo collaborated with Tiesto on a remix for "Anywhere For You" by John Martin, releasing a music video as well. Dzeko & Torres have toured throughout North America and Europe, performing at festivals such as The BPM Festival, Ultra Music Festival, Winter Music Conference, Electric Zoo Festival, Coachella, and Tomorrowland.
- The best part is to always try and make something better than the last thing you made. We are always trying to improve, and when we get to go out and play the stuff that we made, we get to compare the reactions to see if the new stuff is working better.
- We both worked for the same promotion company that threw events in Toronto. We became friends and started DJing in Dzeko’s grandma’s basement. Then we took the speakers we’d been DJing on and set them up as our first ‘studio’. We started producing tech house, released our first few tracks on beatport on broken speakers, then finally decided we needed to take this seriously!
- No idea. We’d probably hate our lives working at some store or office or something lol.
- It really is a combination of both. If you don’t have good music/a good product, then u don’t have anything to show anyone. But at the same time, even if you are the most talented producer, if you have no one to show it to, then no one is ever gonna hear about you.
- When we are home, we have a studio downtown. We usually go there at around 3pm and stay til about 11pm. Then if we need to, we take a break and go back and stay there over night if we really need to finish something. On the road we just produce in hotel rooms or flights...whenever we get a chance.
- I don’t know if we have a favourite, but its probably a combination of Nexus, Sylenth, and Spire. Also just started working with Hive and its sick.
- Yes we do. We used to send all our stuff out for mastering, but now we have a better idea of what we are doing. We still sometimes send stuff out but rarely. Fav compressors: The Glue, T-Racks Classic Comp. Fav Limiter: Invisible Limiter/Fab-Filter Pro-L. Fax Maximizer: Izotope
- There have been a lot. We’ve signed a lot of cool things, and have had fans who come up to us remembering our first ever releases and our old radio shows. Pretty awesome!
- Just by searching online for new sounds. I think the first one we used was the Shocking Buildup Effects.
- Vandalism is really the only company that gets strong usable sounds within Sylenth and now Spire too. The sounds can literally be used without adding any distortion or anything to make them stronger. Also have some great fx packs that we use in every track.
*All pictures of Dzeko & Torres come from their facebook. Follow them for more!